Are you a fan of quilting? Do you have some leftover quilt blocks lying around? Why not turn them into a beautiful quilted pillow case! It's a fun and creative way to use your quilt blocks and add a touch of handmade charm to your home decor. In this tutorial, we'll guide you through the steps to make your own quilted pillow case. Let's get started!
- (1) Quilt block measuring 18-inches square
- (1) 1/2 meter for Pillow Case Backing
- (1) Solid Fat quarter for quilt block backing
- (1) 22" Square of Batting
- Start by selecting the quilt block you want to use for your pillow case. You can use multiple smaller blocks or one large block. If your quilt block is small you could also add a boarder to so that it measures 18-inches square.
- Prepare your block for quilting by layering the Fat quarter of backing right side down, the batting, and the block right side up. Use basting spray or pins to secure the layers together. Quilt the top as desired.
- After quilting, trim the edges to match the block top. Your block should be just smaller than 18-inches square as quilting shrinks the size of the block.
- From your backing fabric cut two rectangles measuring 14-inches x 18-inches.
- Fold the edge of one 18-inch side in toward the wrong side 1/2-inch and iron. Fold in another 1/2-inch, iron and sew a top stitch to secure. Repeat on the other 14-inch x 18-inch rectangle.
- Lay the front of the pillowcase right side up. Place one of the backing rectangles on the top of the square with the finished edge facing down. Place the other on the bottom with the finished edge facing up. These pieces should overlap each other at the middle of the pillowcase. Pin in place and sew to secure. Finish the inside edge with an overlock machine or by using a zig-zag stitch.
- Turn inside out and you're done!
Voila! You've successfully made a quilted pillow case out of a quilt block. Take a moment to admire your handiwork and enjoy the cozy addition to your home decor.
Now that you know how to make a quilted pillow case, you can let your creativity run wild. Experiment with different quilt blocks, fabrics, and quilting designs to create unique and personalized pillow cases. Happy quilting!